Wednesday, June 20, 2012

First Days with the Boys & Lexi

I am so proud of Jake's sweetness toward Lexi! He just loves her so much! He told me on the first day we brought her home, "thanks mom for getting us this baby sister! She's so cute & little & I just love her!"

He's very sensitive to her needs too. A couple day ago I was putting Levi to bed & Lexi was downstairs. Jake came up to tell me she was crying. I told him I'd be down in a minute. He came up 3 times to remind me she was still crying in a 5 minute time period. By that point he was crying too & told me she must be sad because she thinks we're all dead! I said, "No, she's just hungry." So then he asked me, "well, did you do your pumping today?" Yes, I reassured him we had plenty of milk for her. :)

He's also very worried about her umbilical cord. It looks like an owie to him & he's very concerned that it hurts her. I have to reassure him at every diaper change that it doesn't bother her, everyone had that when they were babies, and it will fall off soon & we'll get to see her belly button.

Jake likes to hold her too. He's very responsible - he knows an adult has to sit with him & he has to be so careful because she's so fragile. He held her last night for 45 minutes while watching tv & what I really loved was seeing him periodically lean down to kiss her head. :)  At one point though, Lexi let one rip! Jake looked down at her, then at me, and asked, "What was that?" I smiled and told him she just pooped - silly girl, she poops in her sleep! He slowly started moving the hand that was underneath her bottom away and said, "Let's change her diaper." I said, "I'll change it in a couple minutes." Then he told me, "Um, let's change it NOW!" :) I think he was a little grossed out. :)

Today we were eating lunch while Lexi was napping in her swing and she let out a whimper.  Jake quickly looked to Michael & I and asked, "Could somebody calm our baby sister down?" A couple minutes went by & she started to wiggle and fuss a little more. I was in the process of getting her bottle ready, but since I wasn't fast enough, Jake thoughtfully went over to her swing to give her the passy and hold it in her mouth until I came over.  When he saw me he told me, "Nevermind, I'll do it myself."

Basically I could document something every day to show how he looks out for her! I love it!

And Levi has done really well with her too! We're pleasantly surprised :)  He likes to pat the top of her head and say, "Soft". And he likes to keep tabs on where she is.  If he can't see her, he'll ask in a questioning tone, "Baby?" and want to see where she is.  He's done really well about not taking her passy - hers are pink and purple and his is green and he's been very accepting of that.  He does think she should have her passy at all times; he seems concerned if she doesn't and tries to push it in her mouth...just trying to be helpful :)  And yesterday he started giving her kisses on the cheek, which is just the cutest thing ever!  I'm so proud of the tenderness displayed by both of the boys!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment